Auble Funeral Homes have been serving the Orrville, Rittman, and surrounding communities for over 100 years. We’re thankful to be an important part of these communities and will continue our longstanding legacy of helping families honor their loved ones.
Ever since we opened our gates we have approached life (and death) differently. While some just see the end of a loved one’s life as a time for grief and mourning, we prefer to think of it as a time for reflection, appreciation and even celebration. This is evident in everything we do, from the way we conduct our services to the amenities we choose to offer. We are not a burial ground. We are a close knit community dedicated to honoring, sharing and preserving the amazing and inspirational stories that are life.
Auble Funeral Home
Auble Funeral Home began in 1907 when Harvey "H.C." Auble brought his furniture business from Lodi, OH to Orrville, OH. In the "old days" furniture stores built their own furniture, including caskets, which led to "Undertaking".
Our furniture/funeral business opened in what is now the J.M. Smucker Company Call Center (also formerly the Johnson Hardware building) in downtown Orrville. In 1912 the business moved to the new L.O.O.F. building which is where the Orrville Municipal building now stands. In 1920 H.C.'s son, Perry E. Auble, joined his father and in 1924 the business moved to the corner of Market and Vine Streets where the Kropf, Wagner law offices now exist.
The furniture business was sold in 1933 and in 1949 H.C. sold his interest to Elmo Hooley. In 1959 Auble-Hooley Funeral Home constructed a new funeral home at 512 East Oak Street where the business is currently located.
In 1964 third generation, Alan C. Auble, joined the business following the sudden death of Mr. Hooley. During this time the funeral home began a modern ambulance company as we had already been operating an invalid coach service.
In 1990 the fourth generation, Mark A. Auble, joined the family business as a Funeral Director and Paramedic.
Auble-Gillman Funeral Home
Gillman Funeral Home was founded in 1912 by the late Alton L. Ebert and was known as the Ebert Funeral Home located on South Main Street in Rittman.
In 1948 Karl L. Gillman, who had been associated with Mr. Ebert since 1925, purchased the funeral home and it became Gillman Funeral Home. Upon Karl Gillman's death, his sons, Robert L. Gillman and Richard K. Gillman, assumed ownership and operation of Gillman Funeral Home.
In 1974 the new Gillman Funeral Home was constructed at its present location at 360 West Sunset Drive in Rittman.
In 2014, Alice and Robert Gillman sold the business to family friends, Alan and Mark Auble, the third and forth generation of the Auble Funeral Home family business. Kelly Gillman-Thomas, Alice and Robert's daughter, was retained to manage the Auble-Gillman Funeral Home in Rittman.
Today Auble Funeral Homes remain independently owned; a family business dedicated to the people we serve and the communities we live in.
Whether it's "Advance Funeral Planning", At-Need Funeral Services, Monuments, or Cremation Services, we remain ready to serve your family's needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.